FAQs for Higgins Floors, LLC (Hardwood Floor Specialists)
- Installing solid hardwood flooring in your home is a long-term investment and will often increase your property value more that the cost of installation. If you plan on selling your home in the future, hardwood floors are often a valued feature in buyers' minds.
- Hardwood floors offer better acoustics than many other options. A properly installed hardwood floor has a solid feel and sound, while other types of floors often sound hollow and promote vibrations.
- Hardwood floors are low maintenance.
- Healthy indoor air quality: These floors are a healthy choice for interior environments. Wood has no fibers, grout lines or embossing that can trap dust, pollen, particles, animal dander and allergens. Carpeting in particular traps all these types of allergens. If you or someone in your family are allergy sufferers hardwood floors are the best choice for your home.
- Hardwood floors have an ageless quality to them. When other types of floors begin to look tired and worn, your hardwood floors will still look beautiful. And, your hardwood floors become more valuable with time. Unlike carpeting and vinyl, hard wood floors can be refinished rather than requiring replacement when they wear down.
Do's for hardwood floor care:
- Use dry Swiffers to trap dust and grit effectively.
- Use canister vacuums with special bare floor attachments. These vacuums are the surest way to get rid of all the dirt and dust.
- Use hardwood floor cleaners (Bruce or Bona Kemi brand cleaners recommended) to clean any dirt that a vacuum or dry Swiffers cannot remove.
- Do lift furniture when moving --- avoid dragging. Felt contacts under the legs will help prevent scratches.
- Do be aware that high heels can dent a hardwood floor.
Don'ts for hardwood floor care:
- Do not wet mop. Too much water could cause the wood to expand and buckle.
- Do not use an upright vacuum with beater bars. They can cause dents in your floor's finish.
- Do not use any dust treatment unless it is approved by your floor's manufacturer. The wrong treatment can make your floor dull and cause problems the next time you refinish. Instead, neutral pH cleaners made specifically for wood floors are recommended.
- Do not use throw rugs with rubber or vinyl backing without checking to determine if they will affect your floor's finish. Some materials in the backing can react with certain floor finishes, discoloring or causing the finish to become dull.
- Do not let the sun discolor your hardwood floors. Close curtains and blinds or add sheer drapes to protect from the sun's intense UV rays.
Prefinished products have their durable finish applied at the factory. There is no sanding involved in the installation of prefinished floors. They are a good choice for an existing home, for someone who has problems with dust, or for a small area.
Unfinished floors do not come with a finish already applied. The unfinished floors must be sanded after installation. Then 3 coats of finish, usually oil based polyurethane, are applied to the floors in order to complete installation.
Dustless floor sanding and refinishing is now available. During the sanding and refinishing process, dust is created. All of our sanding machines have vacuum systems built in to minimize dust clean-up. In order to ensure that dust will not travel outside of the work area, we seal off the area with plastic to prevent dust from traveling. We also vacuum and wipe down the floors before each coat of finish is applied.
The oil based finish that we recommend using is called Bona Kemi Woodline. Oil-modified urethane is generally the most common surface finish and is easy to apply. Solvent-based polyurethane dries in 8 to 12 hours. Satin, semi-gloss, and high gloss finishes are available. Oil based types of finish amber with age. This finish is recommended for application in most homes.
The water based product that we recommend using is called Bona Kemi Traffic. This water based finish outperforms moisture cure finishes without the hazardous side-effects, and all the benefits of a waterborne finish. Bona Kemi Traffic minimizes downtime, allowing quicker access to the floor (2-3 hours between coatings). Satin, semi-gloss, and high gloss finishes are available. The Traffic product also highlights the true color of the wood or stain for the most natural looking floor, and Traffic will NOT yellow in time, like standard polyurethane.